EAL in Flora Stevenson Primary School
Currently, there are about 25 different languages spoken in our school community.
The EAL team at Flora Stevenson consists of Ms Hunter, early years specialist, who works mainly from nursery to P3 and Ms MacInnes, primary specialist, who works mainly from P4 to P7. Currently, Ms Hunter and Ms MacInnes both work in school every Wednesday.
They are always happy to meet with parents/carers to discuss any aspect of their children’s progress. If you would like to arrange a meeting with a member of the EAL team, please contact the school office. If you would like to have an interpreter at the meeting, please tell the school office and we can arrange this through the Interpretation and Translation Service.
EAL in Edinburgh
The City of Edinburgh English as an Additional Language (EAL) Service is part of the Children and Families Department.
We work in partnership with schools and other agencies to help them meet the needs of bilingual and minority ethnic learners in ways that are socially and educationally inclusive.
We aim to help schools make their provision more accessible to, and inclusive of, pupils who are learning through English as an additional language, so as to improve their learning outcomes and experiences.
We do this by:
- Offering information and advice about effective teaching and whole school approaches.
- Working in classrooms in partnership with school staff to implement teaching strategies that are supportive of the acquisition of language and literacy across learning.
- Developing and making available effective resources, including those in translation (see Resources and Websites).
- Helping to carry out assessments, and to monitor and track progress of bilingual minority ethnic learners.
- Providing a range of resources, support and advice to improve parental involvement.
Click on the names to open a these sites
LearnEnglish Kids has lots of free online games, songs, stories and activities
ESL Kids Lab provides a number of resources including printable worksheets
Learning to read activities
Animated movies, quizzes and games to support learning English
YouTube link for fun English activities
Online games and activities